Friday, November 10, 2006

Writing About Bipolar

I was asked what effect keeping this blog has on me as a bipolar person. It has different effects on me at different times. If I am down, writing and getting all of the mess out of my brain really helps me a lot. Actually, it helps when I am climbing the walls too. Writing does have a stabilizing aspect to it, I think. It does for me anyway.

 

I think that bipolar people can really benefit from keeping a journal or a blog, especially if the blog is anonymous. Some people cant talk about their illness because of fear, and being able to express how you feel really helps. Being part of an online support group, which basically becomes what happens when you start writing about being bipolar, helps because you know that there are others out there like you. There are people that feel the same weird ass feelings that you feel. There are people that have tons of experience with the disease and that helps if you are newly diagnosed.

 

Do I feel more upbeat after I write? Sometimes. I think it totally depends on whats going on in my head. Usually I am helped by the people that visit here. The folks that comment really help me with decisions, help me cope, help me see things in a different way. That’s why I suggest blogging if youre bipolar. It takes a lot of guts for a lot of people to put themselves out there, but I think its worth it. It has been to me anyway.

 

Just a note on how I'm feeling Bipolar-wise: I have really felt very stable the past few months. I have up and down days of course, but nothing thats totally off the wall, as has been the case in the past. Im actually happy with where I am as far as my mood goes. Im happy with my meds. I still have crappy side effects, but I guess you have to figure out what you give and take, what makes your quality of life be the best it can be.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jil, Thank you so much for your answer, that was very helpul. I am sure my other team members will appreciate it also, as they have been following your blog as well.
I am glad you found the medications that work for you and that you have stabilized your mood. It seems like you are on the right track for getting the disorder under control, I am glad to hear that!
Thank you again!

2:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Jil before she really got cranked up with the blog, and for what it is worth, I think she DEFINITELY benefits from blogging as well as the input she gets from the folks who follow her entries. She is an extremely talented and creative individual, so for her, it might come easier to blog than for others.When she was young, it seemed easier for her to write than to talk. Also, Jil NEVER takes anything at face value...she always looks under the surface and does a tremendous amt of research on her meds, different therapies, and various treatment options. She has always foregone surface facts for deeper realities. It is hard to believe that she is as young as she is--she is very smart and tenacious and determined to be informed to the hilt so she can make the best possible decisions. She is "more advanced in her merits than in her years"! I am so proud she has found someone to share her life with. I say to anyone who comes across this blog--listen to her. She doesn't offer opinions lightly. And if her words touch you and give you encouragement and/or knowledge, let her know. She really wants to help folks and values the input she gets. She is an exceptional person in many ways.

4:43 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Jil: You have been noticeabley stable for a long time now. Good for you!

1:11 PM

 
Blogger dan said...

having stability in your life translates to stability in your brain.

You're getting there Jil. Kudos.

12:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your meds are stabilized. I gotta agree about the support, it makes all the difference in the world.

9:44 PM

 
Blogger Porcelain`Doll said...

i've been a "lurker" for a few weeks now, thanks for answering this question, interesting reply :-)
i journal about my depression & find it really does help. Although it may bore my readers - but hey i journal for myself, noone else. xx

5:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I started blogging just after I was diagnosed.

What I find is...

When I'm down it real help becuase it gives me something to focus on. I get a sense of achievement from writing my post that day.

When I'm up I think it stabilizes me. It gives me an outlet for all my mad ramblings.

Have added you to my bloggroll for future reference (seen as I'm a blogging newbie I figure I could learn a thing or two!)

All the best
x

12:31 PM

 
Blogger Mo said...

Yup, blogging certainly helps. You meet lots of folks in the same boat and it's also the nearest thing to a job I've got.

11:32 AM

 
Blogger White-blossom said...

I just began bloggin to - maybe coz it does help emty all the things in the head... so as you may know we guys think alot ...

like you page very much x

1:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home