Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Religion Stuff

First of all, I am feeling a little better than I was feeling the last time I posted, thank the good Lord. I still am not feeling my best, but Im hanging in there.

 

On to what I want to say. Im Southern Baptist. Ive been reading a lot about other religions lately. I read a book about Catholicism, Mormonism, and now I am reading about Wicca. I think for people to know what they really believe in, they need to know what they dont believe.

 

Anyway, after reading all that stuff I am glad that I am a Protestant. Im glad that I belong to a group that doesnt think that salvation is based on works and no one expects you to be perfect. Sometimes you run across some people who are overboard, and it seems like Christians get a bad name because some people are nuts. Im also glad I am not a polytheist. I have a hard enough time with 1 God and understanding that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are one Godhead. Dont throw in other gods, its too confusing.

 

However, I guess out of everything Ive read, I understand why people would choose Wicca more than the others. I understand why many women choose it, I guess, because it is true that women have been persecuted by the church forever, I mean, even in the Bible women where nothing. In Wicca there is a Goddess, and there certainly is no Goddess in Christianity. I get the environmental part too�.the nature stuff.

 

BUT � to me there is nothing that compares to a personal relationship with Jesus. He paid for my sins with His blood, which means, I dont have to do good works to get to heaven, I just have to have faith. I think that good works come with having faith, they go together, but works arent required for salvation. I can talk directly to Jesus, I dont have to have a mediator. I can tell God exactly whats going on with me. Thats pretty cool. He knows I cant be perfect (which Mormons would think would cause me not to be able to become a god). I dont wanna be a god! I cant remember to feed my pets sometimes, who wants the responsibility of being a god of something and I sure don�t want to piss off the real God by even having the thought that I could ever compare to Him!

 

Theres a lot wrong with Christianity though. I can understand why people, who are searching for something, would be turned off by some Christians that act a fool. Hypocrisy seems to be the big thing that turns people off, or I think that people use that as an excuse. Everyone in the universe is hypocritical. Say one thing, do another; its human nature. Anyway, I think you have to find your niche. I am finally in a church that isnt so overbearing. There doesnt seem to be as many people looking over your shoulder as there was in previous places Ive gone to church. I used to hate going to church, now I like it.

 

A lot of people don�t like to be preached to in pews. I think there needs to be more interaction in a lot of churches. Mine is cool because we have good music and sometimes we have the local college drama team come and do stuff, we have some videos once in a while. We keep it interesting most of the time. Growing up, you NEVER clapped in my church. It was like a mortal sin (even though we don�t believe in mortal sins; a sin is a sin in our book). So, I had a hard time with the bit of exuberance in my new church, but I like it. Im just not a clapper and that�s ok too.

 

A lot of people are searching for the supernatural, especially in Wicca, I think. Im about to start reading a book on miracles whenever I finish the Wicca book (which I really am enjoying). Anyway, supernatural things can really happen through prayer. I like some of the Catholic rituals, I think some rituals are cool every once in a while, they just arent a required thing. I�ve always enjoyed communion because it makes me feel close to Jesus. We dont believe that the grape juice and crackers are anything other than that, but its a cool thing to remember the Last Supper. Supernatural things can be found in Christianity, you just have to concentrate on prayer as much as you would casting spells if you were a Wiccan.

 

I don�t mean to offend anyone who is of a different religion. I find all religions to be interesting. It�s important for us to find our on way. I just am glad that I chose the path that I have because it makes the most sense to me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Jil! I can see you have put a lot of thought into what you believe and what makes you the most comfortable spiritually. I think you are exactly right about how some folks act like idiots and give Christianity a bad name. I know I haven't been the most sterling example of what a Christian should be in my life. It never stops being a struggle. Have you read anything by Henri Nouwen? I think you would like him...there's a short devotional book he wrote called "Bread for the Journey" that several people I know like.
I am happy you have found a place to worship that is meeting your needs...I like what Anne Lamott said about making her son Sam go to church...she said that we live in "bewildering, drastic times" and a "little spiritual guidance never killed anyone...You go to church to meet people WHO LOVE GOD BACK." Sometimes, esp when I am not feeling really spiritual, it is good to just observe the worship of others that really DO love God back, when I don't feel like I am behaving in a way that shows I really do love Him. I guess it gives me hope and inspiration to let myself get lost in Him again. Keep exploring and learning and discovering...I am proud of you.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger dan said...

The important thing is finding faith.

Faith can get you through anything.

And as long as in the end, we're all good to each other it'll work out in the end.

11:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I've never brought up Simone Weil, but in her Spiritual Autobiography she says, "Christ likes us to prefer the truth to him because, before Christ, he is truth. If one turns aside from him to go toward the truth, one will not go far before falling into his arms."

Yes, she was quite the interesting religious figure (and surprisingly Jewish). I don't agree with her about everything, but I appreciate her defence of intelligence and the critical mind: to explore the world with eyes open to all possibilities. I thought you would appreciate that as well.

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Daryl Darko said...

this scares me.

4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting post, especially the part of being glad you're Protestant and not having to do good works to be saved.

Let me first say that I'm SO glad you have a personal relationship with Jesus. I personally think it's important; on a side note, I don't hate on people for not having one. This is just a personal opinion.

Second, in my experience with Protestantism, most members are heavy on the cultural aspect of Christianity (as opposed to Catholics, who tend to be heavy on the ritual side), which translates to "you're going to Hell if you do X, Y, and Z." It's really refreshing to me to hear about a Protestant church that doesn't smack its members down for being human.

If you're making a list of books to read, let me recommend Ruthless Trust by Brennan Manning. It's AWESOME.

10:30 PM

 
Blogger Daryl Darko said...

i'm back. and feeling better. i'm glad you have your faith, honest i am. i'm happier though that you found the courage to study the "religions" that other people choose to call their own. and especially glad that you found that it is ok if other people do have other beliefs. i AM a polytheist. i started out as a monotheist (a born-again-christian) but my own experiences of faith/life led me to believe in a world & god bigger than the one that "preachers of the bible" could manifest for me. anyway, whenever i hear people speak "Xian psychobabble" i get scared. that is part of my BP diagnosis though i think. please take no offense at any of this. like i said, i am very glad you have a faith and that it works for you.

sincerely, daryl

1:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home