Saturday, December 10, 2005

Blog For Dignity

It’s International Human Rights Day and the World Health Organization’s focus is on the Rights of the Mentally Ill. Usually, I would go on and on about this subject and write a small novel, but if you’ve read anything on my blog recently, you’d know that I’m really not in the novel-writing mindset at the moment….so I just wanted to say a couple of things before I go back under my covers.

First of all, I have a mental illness & many of my readers do also. We work, we vote, we do normal things that everybody does…we just have to take medicine. Yet, we are the family members that everyone else thinks they should be careful around, people are threatened by us for no reason, and employers may not hire us if they find out we have a mental illness. Those who trust us, don’t always completely trust us…because WHAT IF…we forget our medicine, we embarrass them, or in some way come unhinged.

But – today I don’t want to think about all the negative stuff that’s come along with being mentally ill, in my case, bipolar. I want to make sure that all of us, who are mentally ill & are able to fight for our rights, do it. Not just for us, but for those of us who’s illness is far worse than our own… the ones who can’t take care of themselves and fight for their own rights…the over-medicated people who have been sent somewhere, not to help them, but to keep them out of societies’ view. Many mentally ill people are beaten because police think they are on drugs, or people mistreat them because they cant protect themselves. We have to take the responsibility of fighting for our rights because those people are like us and we could all at some point be like them.

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more to say when I feel better.
10 days – no cigs!

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Jil, What you say makes complete sense and even when you’re down and out you always have room for others and the compassion and understanding you have is a light to many. As you know I have changed my career and now find myself being an advocate for those who are chronically mentally ill and some of them are bipolar. Though I have withheld my own disorder from my employer and from clients I am able to relate and understand their world. I have become the lead person in our agency for the homeless. I have found my passion and it is working with people less fortunate and in so doing I find myself more understanding and able to endure more stresses myself. It is through speaking out for their rights and for helping to provide housing and services not only through declining federal dollars but finding state funding and grants and having local fund raising events and informing the public of the needs for those who are mentally ill as well as any other. Take care Jil I am sure we will talk more on this subject.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't count how many times I've been passed up for jobs or promotions because of my bipolar disorder.

11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home