Friday, August 25, 2006

What I know About My Meds

In answer to a question posted in the comments, I wanted to talk a bit about the meds I take. First of all, I wanna say that Im not a doctor, dont take what I say as the gospel, and all meds work differently on different people.

I take Lamictal as a mood stabilizer. It can cause a major rash, swollen glands, and lots of other crap if you have a reaction to it. I never have, luckily, and it works well for me. I have been on Depakote before. It was a totally different coctail though and it didnt work for me. I like Lamictal alot. Its an anti-convulsant. In the same class as Topamax and things like that. I am taking 100mg although I am prescribed 200.

Abilify is in a different class of drugs, its an anti-psychotic, it helps with seeing things and hearing things and all of that kind of stuff. It works GREAT for me, I never hear anything anymore and my paranoia has diminished drastically. Personally, I dont know anyone thats had a weird reaction to it, but thats not saying it isnt possible. I take 15 mg in the morning. It worked quickly for me. I think that if its going to do something weird to you, you would know it pretty fast. I started out on a baby dose, just 5 mg. I am not sure what most people start at. Abilify is in the same class as things like zyprexa and haldol. Zyprexa worked wonders for me, but I kept gaining weight, so I switched. If anyone has had weird side effects with Abilify, let me know.

I take Cymbalta for an anti-depressant. I take 60 mg, although I am prescribed 90. Its the first anti-depressant thats done much for me. I am waaaaay on the depressive side of bipolar disorder most of the time and I think Cymbalta keeps me alive. I have been on Wellbutrin (made me mean), Celexa (made me sad), Effexor (made me manic), Paxil (made me sad), and a variety of others that I cant even remember. Cymbalta has really helped me alot.

Thats really all I know. Make sure you read the stuff that comes with your meds and talk to your doctor about stuff that goes on. www.crazymeds.org is a good place to look up side effects, they dont hold much back there.

2 Comments:

Blogger katinkab said...

i had a weird but common side effect from abilify. i got akathisia (extreme restlessness like you can't keep still, feeling like you want to keep moving). i started on 5 mg and went up to 15. i was really emotional labile, took the 5 mg, and the next day, i felt fine. it worked that fast, but the higher up i went on abilify, the weirder i felt on it. after a doc told me i was having akathisia, i quit taking it.

btw, i'm also on 60 mg of cymbalta.

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Bleeding Heart said...

I, too was on Effexor at one time as a Bipolar patient. It made me manic. Didn't know I was bipolar at the time when I took it though and neither did the doctor that prescribed it as she was a Rheumatologist!

It is hard to work with meds that is for sure.

Great blog and a wonderful read!

7:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home