Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bipolar Carnival #3



It's that time again...it's been a wild ride this month for me as a host. Ive really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I hope everyone learns something from this carnival. I certainly did.

ON THE TRAIN
Many carnivals traveled by train. "Carnies" became like family to one another. I think of the Bipolar blogging community in much the same way. We are different, I don’t think there are any bearded ladies in our group, but we have one thing in common and we stick together to make it through. We all learn different ways to cope. Bp_hockey_chick talks of coping with suicidal ideation, BiPolar guy talks of easing the depression, and Radin speaks of a method to control depression, and how to Just Live. Barb has a 1-2-3 list for Functioning. All of us blog. We’re all trying to cope on the blogging train together.

WHAT A WONDERFUL MENAGERIE WE HAVE!
Menageries of animals are ever present at fairs/circuses. One of the definitions of a menagerie is "a varied mixture". I can’t help but be reminded of the differences between each of us. We all have our own story, and we share them not only for acceptance and therapeutic reason, but also so people can learn from them. I know that I learned from Jane as she told her story in Addict Part I and subsequent posts. BiPolar Guy talks about how some of us over-identify and under-identify with our disease and I really could relate because I am guilty of both. I’ve learned many things from belonging to this menagerie.

IT HURTS TO FALL OFF
We walk many different types of tightropes. We walk them with our moods, trying to stabilize them the best we can. Sometimes we walk them with our docs, as a. tells about in Fun With Psychiatrists. Sometimes we walk a tightrope with our friends and family, as Dreaming Mage discusses in Message to Friends and Family. We have to teach them how to talk to us, as Joel describes, so that someone is there when we do fall off.

DON’T MAKE ME GET OUT THE WHIP
Like all humans, we fight every day, but we have different fights at those in the "normie" crowd. We fight stigma, we fight politics, we fight with ourselves – our moods, money, and insurance…at times we struggle to function at all. I cant help but think of the animal trainer in the cage with a lion. We try to keep our disease at bay…and in the process we have many different types of struggles. Joel speaks of the fight in The Fish That Don’t Make It. Jane also goes on A Rant. Maggs struggles to Do The Right Thing.

JUGGLING
We juggle our moods as we fluctuate. I think DramaPrincess describes it well in On Being Manic and On Being Depressed. Mass Defective speaks of being In My Shell and Broke struggles with sleep. Sometimes the effects of our moods, when elevated, aren’t always bad, as Gen tells in alittle bit o’ mania.

CREATIVITY
Carnivals are all about creativity, as many of us with bipolar disorder are. We have poets, photographers, and other creative geniuses. Daddy Jarbucks makes fractals, and I highly suggest you check them out. Theses are just a couple of examples of folks with the creative bug. If you are one of these people and I don’t mention you – comment, I’d like to see what you do!

Divine Calm – Photography
Joel Sax – Photography
Daddy Jarbucks – Fractals
Dreaming Mage - Poetry
Maggs - Photography

ON TO THE NEXT TOWN

The Carnival of the Bipolars appears on the third of every month. It is hosted by different members of the bipolar and associated communities (i.e., caregivers, sufferers of other mental disorders with affinities towards our disease.) To host this review of bipolar blogging and information, contact gazissax at best dot com.
Information about this and related carnivals may be found at The Truth Laid Bear ÜberCarnival. Opinions expressed in this review do not necessarily reflect those of the editor or of any single bipolar except as attributed.

The May 3 Carnival of the Bipolars will be hosted by manica of Moon Moods.


Submit your blog article to the next edition of
“carnival of the bipolars”!
Use our
carnival submission form.
Past posts and future hosts can be found on our
blog carnival index page
.

Graphics: Copyright 2005 and 2006 by JIL.

6 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

Jil, This was an excellent read. I like the comparison you made to our community being like a family, of sorts. It's wonderful to know we're all here for each other, something I've never felt before, as far as a support group. You really outdid yourself with this one.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger dan said...

Oooh, loved it Jil! Loved it. This is the way I wish mine could have looked. ;)

Congratulations. Kudos should be overflowing!

12:14 PM

 
Blogger Joel said...

Ah hell! I waited this long to say what a terrific job you did?

9:55 PM

 
Blogger TotalChaos said...

We are a sort of family, trying to support one another, in times of down. I am but one of many who do Fractals, and most do better than I. Some of them are on my blogroll. Thank you for linking me, though I don't feel I should be.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger jane said...

Hi Jil, I stopped by to read your newest post, but you haven't written one. I hope you're doing alright & please remember,if you ever need, I'm here.
~ take it easy

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Brandon said...

This is a great collections of posts. I want to welcome you to contribute to the Radical Progressive carnival as well!

3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home