Friday, September 23, 2005

Katrina in Mississippi - 1 month later

Not much is shown on tv about Mississippi, the focus is entirely on New Orleans. Now, we arent under water...and that is a blessing, but theres a lot of damage here. A co-worker went down to the coast & took some pictures & I wanted to share a few.

The media seems to want to show the bad parts of recovery - dumbasses shooting at rescue efforts, looters, etc. We dont have that kind of shit here. I guess Mississippi is just very community oriented. I have always kind of thought it sucked living in MS, but right now I am proud. Everyone really came together...and still are.

Things are relatively back to normal where I live...still a few people without cable and stuff like that, but everything else is pretty much back in order. I know we had a lot of donations at our church...one coming from a small church in Washington with 25 members...they sent like $1700 or something unbelievable like that. Lots of people sent food and baby stuff for the church to distribute. There were also tree cutter people at church from Memphis that sat in front of me. We had mission teams from other places that have helped with clean up & stuff too. Lots of people are helping people. Ive even gotten used to sleeping to the sound of chainsaws.

People sent donations where I work too...to the clients and the staff. I think its awesome that people all over the country are helping...and its really good to see neighbors helping neighbors. Anyway, a month later things on the coast are still in just a devastated case. These pictures were taken about a week ago. There are still alot of trees to clean up here, but its alot better.

I feel really horrible for the people in Rita's path...hurricanes really suck.

For pictures from Hattiesburg (close to where I live), go here















1 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

it looks very surreal. no people; just quiet devastation. i'm glad there are people helping your community & mostly, that you're safe. :)

6:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home