Monday, September 12, 2005

Katrina Blows

It's been 2 weeks since the storm. It doesnt really seem like it.

Absorbing everything that’s been going on as a result of Katrina has been horrible & I am not on the coast of MS or N.O. I can hardly imagine being in one of those places. I live about a 100 miles from the coast and it was definitely the worst thing that has happened somewhere I’ve lived in my lifetime.

I don’t have memories of Camille because I wasn’t alive in those days. I’ve always grown up hearing stories from my family and friends and coworkers when I lived in Biloxi, MS. From what I understand, Katrina was definitely worse.

To be honest, all I have gotten to see about the storm has been online. My tv isn’t working, local radio stations are off the air, etc. So, I really don’t have a handle on everything yet.

Around here, you were blessed if you didn’t have a tree in your living room. I was thankful that the only damaged to my house was my carport, which is no more, and my fence…which is really sucking for my dog.

Here are some of the things that we all take for granted on a daily basis:
1. Water – I was never without it, but a lot of people were and some still are. I can live without most things, but I intake a large amount of liquids in a day and I cant stand being without a bath for very long, so I definitely was blessed to have never lost my water.
2. Not being able to contact family. No phones. Finally my cell started working, but it sucks not to be able to make sure that your friends and family are alright after something like this.
3. AIR CONDITIONING – especially in south Mississippi this time of year.
4. Being able to wash your clothes. Now, that sucked. I got my power back pretty fast because I live in town, so I made it without having to wear dirty clothes. Like I said though, a lot of people here are still without power…so some don’t have the luxury of being able to load the washing machine. A lot of people are having to hand wash stuff and hang them out.
5.Gas, cigarettes, and Mountain Dew
6 Being able to dry your hair….especially those of us that are of the female variety.
7 No entertainment & no news…no tv, no internet access, no radio.

Things that were a bit refreshing:
1. Helping other people – You know, I really felt like I was doing something important at work…which was definitely refreshing. I sit behind a computer all day long, and I get paid decently…and what I do doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. I got to do some things at work that made me feel like I was doing something that helped people. Some of the stuff I got to do: put together and make beds, load refrigerated trucks with ice and food, work in the game room with clients, pump gas for employees. It was kind of cool.
2. Being with friends and making new ones – no electricity made me talk to people at work that I see on a daily basis, but really don’t know. That was pretty cool. Also, getting to hang out with friends was cool. I guess we all get caught up in the stuff that requires electricity that we don’t make enough time for human interaction….I know that’s the case with me. Although I don’t watch a lot of tv, other stuff takes up my time – the internet, making cds, watching movies….stuff like that.
3. Watching people helping people. Its really cool to see people come together. Guys cut the trees out of the way so we could get home from work on the night of the storm, people offer to help cleaning up…that’s cool…most people don’t even talk to their neighbors. Ive been one of those people.
4. Being able to see the stars – with no lights on, you can really see the sky. It was nice.
5. Having to be outside a lot. It was nice to be out. Even though it sucked that it was cooler out there than inside the house because of no air conditioning.
6. Doing stuff that doesn’t require electricity….reading, drawing, writing some…

Through all of this I think I’ve gotten closer to God. When I pray I think I am more aware of the blessings he’s given me….instead of asking Him for things…even the things I need – strength, etc….I’ve been thanking Him; for life, for friends, for the things we take for granted. I’ve also learned that I can live without most things…nothing really matters but Him. I’ve also become more aware of his power. I’ve seen how people have turned this devastating storm into doing good things for other people. I’ve become more aware of His grace. Theres a book that I read that gives the definition of God’s grace. I have a hard time understanding that concept, so I read it a lot. I know what it means now.

3 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

On tv we're shown those at the shelters, but I've never even thought there were people, especially 100 miles away without radio or tv.
I found your entry extremely moving, especially the good things about it. While one would things it's odd to mention good things, they were all such basic things in life that our busy lives take us away from.
I'm so glad you got to contribute to helping others firsthand.

2:32 PM

 
Blogger Eko Prasetyo said...

counted you blessings, eh?

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

Oh yes, by the time Katrina got here she was still a cat 2 hurricane. Lots of damage everywhere from Jackson - south. There are still tons of people here with no power. Most have gotten water back, although its cold, its wet :)

4:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home