Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Contentment

I wanna talk about contentment. I am never content. I always want to do something else, be something else, and go somewhere else. Our shallow humanity can never be satisfied. Why do I always seek to be something else and ignore the opportunity to just be?

 

Is it not enough that I am made in the image of God and I am a new creation? What if the only place that discontentment could raise its head was in our quest to be more like Christ? What would we be like then?

 

Maybe there is part of God�s image in us to create something valuable, to express our creativity. I�m not saying that is a bad thing at all. I am talking about whole Christians that are discontent with who they are. I can see being discontent if you feel broken, or youre a drug addict or something like that, but why cant some of us be happy just being?

 

Are you happy with who you are, where youre at � in your job, in life in general? Or do you get a wild hair like me? Always want to be something �better�?

 

Maybe God wants us where we are. I guess it all depends on how he�s working on us. Maybe he wants us to do �better� things. Maybe if we concentrate on doing God�s will, our discontentment will go away�I�ll pray about it. Theres nothing wrong with where I am at, and I don�t feel like God wants me to do anything different right now, other than trying to be more like Christ�.so I need to get over it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only offer my take on the whole contentment thing from my perspective and we are radically different in spiritual philosophies so take it for you can. I think that if I was content, then I would stop challenging myself, stop growing, stop reaching for things that make me better. If I was content where I was I am not sure I would ever have sought out therapy, discovered I was bipolar, and actually HEALED. Maybe this isn't what you were talking about and I missed the point... but for my life, I may have peace about where I am in my journey, but never will I be content to stay here.

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Amy Purdy said...

I think God wants us to be content with what we have, but never with who we are. I mean, He wants us to be satisfied that we are His children and forgiven and content with all the many things He's blessed us with, but He never expects us to stop growing or stop learning. I think we mistake contentment for meaning "I have it all figured out who I am and I am happy with it" when it really means "I have no idea who I am or what God's plan for my life is, but whatever He brings, it is well with my soul."

I am longing for what "fits" me. I have yet to find it. And maybe I never will. There are so many things I don't understand. Life is such a crazy thing.

7:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home