Friday, July 21, 2006

Praying When Depressed

This morning I read an article on Praying In Depression. Heres a link to the article: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/145/story_14508_1.html Beliefnet rocks, I recommend checking it out.

 

Anyway, here are some of the suggestions in the article, maybe I will try some of them:

 

Ideas for Praying When Depressed


St. Gregory Nazianzus wrote these words during a time when he found anxiety and depression crowding out any space for prayer in his soul:

The breath of life, O Lord, seems spent. My body is tense, my mind filled with anxiety, yet I have no zest, no energy. I am helpless to allay my fears. I am incapable of relaxing my limbs. Dark thoughts constantly invade my head . Lord, raise up my soul, revive my body.

 

If this is happening to you, try these forms of prayer and contemplative love:

1. Try to find a quiet place. Put on some soothing music. Keep it soft and gentle. Take a few deep breaths, holding each one for a few seconds and then slowly exhaling. Relax. Feel the chair you're sitting on, your feet on the floor. Smell the scents in the room. Imagine Jesus coming toward you with a smile on his face. Tell him how you are feeling right now-anxious, uncomfortable, fidgety, distracted, wanting to focus. Tell him what things are like for you today. Open your heart to him. Feel his presence very close to you. Let his love into your heart. Thank him for this gift.

 

2. Go for a walk. Take some pleasant music with you. As you go, notice the sky, feel the season. Recognize what is around you. Feel at home right now. Offer your heart to Jesus, even if your pain is deep. Though you may be alone on your walk, Jesus is in your heart. Tell him what you see ...the beauty around you. Tell him how you feel ...even if it is dark. Remember he wants you to tell him everything in your life ...joys and pains.

3. Call to mind someone else you know who is hurting or sick. Focus for a few minutes on what that person may be feeling, and on what you would like to say to him or her. Lift this person up by name to Jesus and ask his blessing on them.

4. Hold a crucifix in your hands. Close your eyes and think of Jesus in agony. Join your sufferings to his in his act of redemption.

5. If you're feeling low, go to a quiet place and hold your Bible. Read Psalm 130 or focus on a phrase of it. Embrace how you feel, even if it's uncomfortable. Know that God is loving you through these moments of darkness.

6. When you are unable to focus because your mind is racing, try to remember and pray the words, "My God, I love you." Open yourself to God's love.

7. Turn on soft music. Read this Bible verse over and over while thinking about it: "My God, my God, why have you forgotten me?" (cf. Mk 15:34). This is Jesus' own prayer of emptiness and abandonment.

8. When you pass by your local church, stop in for a few minutes. Pause and connect with the One who loves you.

9. If you cant get up, lie still and repeat the name of Jesus over, and over, and over. His love catches these words and he embraces you with love.

10. Go to Eucharistic adoration and spend some time in God's presence.

2 Comments:

Blogger Selden Rose said...

Interesting Article! I'm gonna take a deeply look at home late in the night. As you know, I've been depressed for 4 week :( But the only moment I don't it's every Sunday at the Church in the late service. I usually listen to "Sixpence none the Richer" when I am blue. Their religious lyrics are superb!
I leave you one...

breathe my name

my heart is as dark as the soil sodden with winter rains
my soul is as heavy as the peat freshly dug from the bog
my thoughts swirl like willow branches caught in autumn winds
my body is as tense as a cat's as it stalks its prey

Chorus
help me open my heart to You,
help me open my heart to You,
help me open my heart to You, oh Jesus
it's what I long to do

ooh, to do
ooh

my heart is as dark as the soil sodden with winter rains
(Lord, brighten my heart)
my soul is as heavy as the peat freshly dug from the bog
(Lord, lighten my soul)
my thoughts swirl like willow branches caught in autumn winds
(Lord, still my thoughts)
my body is as tense as a cat's as it stalks its prey
(Lord relax my body)

Chorus
help me open my heart to You,
(help me open my heart to You)
help me open my heart to You,
(help me open my heart to You)
help me open my heart to You, oh Jesus
it's what I long to do

ooh, to do
ooh

Instrumental

help me open my heart to You,
(help me open my heart to You)
help me open my heart to You,
(help me open my heart to You)
help me open my heart to You, sweet Jesus

I...

(help me open my heart to You)
I want to open my heart to You,
(help me open my heart to You)
I want to open my heart to You
(help me open my heart to You)
I want to open my heart to You, oh Jesus
it's what I long to do

12:34 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

A lot of bipolar folks turn to spirituality, whether it be christianity or buddhism or whatever. i wish i could.

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home