Monday, July 10, 2006

More Relationship Stuff

First of all, I wanna say that I in no way meant that all bipolar people are violent. Hell,  remember I am bipolar too, and I dont have a violent bone in my body. I think most of us are like that, but there are the few that lose it, and you never know who those people are going to be. Thats why I dont like giving relationship advice, especially when the bipolar person HAS been violent in the past.

 

I agree that in normal, nonviolent circumstances, advice on relationships with a bipolar partner wouldnt be too much different than a relationship with someone with any other disease. BUT its not our kidneys, or liver that malfunction, its our moods and moods affect relationships. I know. My moods destroyed the best relationship Ive ever had.

 

Living with someone who is bipolar is work sometimes. You have to be strong. You have to be understanding, patient, and be up to speed on the disease. You need to be supportive, go to lots of doctor visits, etc. I guess if I were considering being in a relationship with someone with this disease (assuming I myself was not bipolar), I would have to have some ground rules about meds. I know a lot of people dont like that. Some guy went on a rant here about people demanding that their partner take meds, but I know how I am without meds. I have lived it and my life was destroyed until I got the right cocktail.

 

Anyway, none of that probably made sense and I am probably digging myself a deeper hole.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggs said...

No worries!!

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Selden Rose said...

"My moods destroyed the best relationship I've ever had."

Damn! Your though is exactly what I think about my moods and my terrible romatic life. I lost the love of my life for my changing moods...

:(

Selden Rose

3:58 PM

 
Blogger dan said...

Relationships need ground rules and solid expectations. If you never know what to expect, it's only harmful.

There's nothing wrong with expecting someone to take their meds. It's a sign they care enough about being with you to do so. :)

7:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home