Sunday, July 09, 2006

Bipolar Relationships and Stuff

Sometimes my moods confuse the hell out of me, they seem so random. I am feeling well today, just tired....BUT Ive gotten a lot of my house clean and thats a big deal. I need to clean my office, my room and my music room so I have a long ways to go, but Ive been on a cleaning frenzy. This is good.

What advice would you guys give someone in a relationship with someone thats bipolar? Especially someone whos just been diagnosed and is just starting meds? I was in a way asked this and I dont really know what to say other than make sure they take their meds and its going to be a long road to get the right ones. If someone thats bipolar has been violent in the past, its almost sure to happen again without meds. I know I couldnt live with myself without meds!

I watched this terrible show about this man that was bipolar, he had just been diagnosed in the hospital, but checked himself out after 3 days and did not take meds. After a few days at home, he shot his wife and turned the gun on his sons. His oldest son had to shoot and kill him....after watching his mother die. HOW AWFUL! Thats why I hate giving relationship advice for bipolar folks, theres so many variables and varying degrees of the disease.

I know some of you guys have input.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what to tell my husband. He doesn't seem to care about me being bipolar, he just has no earthly idea what it's like!

7:32 PM

 
Blogger bp_hockey_chick said...

I've been lucky. I was put in hospital against my will before my husband knew it and he had to take the horrible trip to the psych ward and see me standing there. He said I looked terrified and lost.

I agree with what you said re: taking the meds. I would also tell this other person that life with someone who has bipolar disorder CAN be quite unpredictable, including when and where that unpredictability comes into play. I would also suggest that the person speak to their OWN family doctor about the disorder and get a sound and unbiased medical opinion.

As for violence: I understood that the situation you described is very rare for someone who has ONLY bipolar disorder on their plate and that there is likely another thing in there stirring the pot.

4:37 AM

 
Blogger Crazy In Shreveport said...

Advice to someone in a relationship with a person who is bipolar? My husband and daughter both are diagnosed with bipolar disorder-- so this is where my experience comes from. Bipolar is a physcial disorder just like heart disease or cancer and comes with many complications like those health problems come with.
The chances that someone who is bipolar will be violent are very slim and the cases that do happen make the news because it's so juicy. The public would rather read about someone who has a neurobiological committing an act of violence than some one is "sane."

5:14 AM

 
Blogger dan said...

I would give them the same advice as I'd give anyone going into any relationship.

It's no different if one person has inoperable cancer, or a buttload of debt, or makes funny smells after eating Mexican food.

Be aware of what's going on. Love and honesty and trust and respect can overcome anything. As long as both people are fully on board and comitted to whatever happens.

If someone's honest about the nature of their condition, be honest with yourself about whether you can handle it.

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home