Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Pacemaker for Depression?


Pacemaker for Depression

I found an interesting article on a pacemaker for depression. The device is put into the subgenual cingulate, as they put it - a well-buried cortical area in the brain. The thing sends 130 four volt electrical shocks to this part of the brain every second. The thought is that the subgenual cingulate acts like a switch left open, allowing depressive circuits to screw up.

This was only tested on 6 people and 4 of them had lasting results. It was tested on both people that had already tried ECT and those who had not.

Has anyone had ECT? Did it work for you? I think that its come a long way from the One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest days and actually helps some people although it can cause memory loss.

If you knew this stuff would help you, would you do it?

I personally don�t like the idea of someone tinkering with my brain to control my moods. Call me old school, but it just freaks me out. I also dont like the idea of something implanted in me�.anything�pacemakers, breast implants�I don�t want anything like that unless a pacemaker or something is absolutely necessary for me to live, I guess.

It sure is inviting that there would be a possibility that it would forever keep those days of hiding under the covers, crying away. I dont know if I would do it if I thought it was a viable possibility.

3 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

that kinda shit scares the hell outta me. i wouldn't let them plant something in my head. what if you got water on the brain & then would you get electrocuted? and i'm with queen...i dont trust our govt...especially not now. that's wiretapping in the purest sense! lol

9:55 AM

 
Blogger dan said...

Implanting stuff in the brain seems a little to open-ended of a proposition to me... once they start, who knows what's getting in there?

1:22 PM

 
Blogger bp_hockey_chick said...

I'm prone to paranoia. No one is tinkering with my brain. No one.

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home