Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self Harm

After reading Joel's post on skin picking and shrinkette's post on safe cutting, I decided that maybe it was time to write about my issues with self harm again. I havent written about it in a while and I figured I needed to save people the effort of going through my archives.

Anyway, I am a cutter. I also have been known to use cigarettes to burn myself, but I havent done that since I quit smoking (it'll be 10 weeks tomorrow!!). I have cut recently (ummmm...last night).

The first question that I assume would be on most peoples mind is: Why in the world would you choose to hurt yourself on purpose? To be honest, I dont really know...but I can tell you what the act itself does for me.

A variety of emotions can cause me to want to self injure. I feel the need to cut many times when I am just hurting mentally - if I'm sad, mad, lonely, irritated, etc. Feelings of elation can also bring it on because I feel like I feel "too good" and I try to bring myself down.

When I cut I immediately feel a release of tension. Its a strange feeling and it doesnt last too long, but its almost like a high, a rush. I feel calm and relaxed. I am not sure what causes this. I dont really pay attention to the act itself, I rarely even watch the blade cut my skin. I kind of zone out. I dont even feel the pain necessarily until after the cutting is finished. I also get some sort of rush from seeing the blood. It makes me feel real and grounded. The pain makes me know that I can feel something instead of being numb all the time.

Anyway, I know its strange to people who dont do it. I mean, hey, its strange to me! But thats the purpose it serves for me.

Now, about this whole "safe cutting" thing. I use clean blades to cut with most of the time, unless I am in a major zone out and am not really caring if a body part falls off or something because of infection. I have never gotten an infection though.

What would I think if I was in a place that offered clean blades to cut with if I needed them? I would feel weird, but maybe thats a good thing. I couldnt cut with someone sitting beside me. I have burned once in front of someone and I was high on LSD at the time. I wouldnt be able to do it... so thats good. If I had someone sitting with me when I wanted to hurt myself, I am 98.2% sure that I wouldnt do it.

I am not sure if the idea is a good one. It would be beneficial to people that are hell bent on cutting themselves to have a nurse tell them places that are safer to cut than others, but thats just too weird for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

Hey, I posted on Jaol's blog and Shrinkette's blog. I also have ongoing posts mention in SI on my owm blog. I feel pretty much all the ways you have descirbed...I explained to me T today that seeing the blood proves I'm not dead. Of course that is just one time I cut. I do think someone sitting with me might be beneficial though. I would have to be someone I know and trust, and who understands DI...which pretty much leaves only my T.

Sera

7:54 PM

 
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

Wow...pardon my typos in above post. Either I just discovered the English language or my meds kicked in faster than I thought. :|

Sera

5:54 AM

 
Blogger Miss Defective said...

I've already forgotten how I linked over here, but I'm here so I'll leave a comment. I'm a cutter and have been for something like 25 years. I have never cut or participated in self-injurous behaviour in front of anyone. Guess that might be the trick to learning to stop...being around someone when I want to do it.

2:32 PM

 
Blogger jane said...

It's interesting to read about cutting. When I was in teh hospital there was this guy with the longest scars going down his arms & he told me he cut himself. I was literally in shock. I'm still confused though. Is it an attempted suicide or a means to relieve yourself? I'm thinking its the latter, from what you've said. Do you cut yourself deep or just superficially?
Thank you for sharing & being so honest.

5:02 PM

 
Blogger digibrill said...

I've thought about the final act and not just about hurting myself since I think sometimes "why not just be done with it?" I hope you can find relief when you feel the need. I'm glad you are posting all this.

8:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home