Monday, July 25, 2005

On a Starbucks Napkin (if they were big enough)

I can’t listen to Tracy Chapman.
I love Tracy Chapman.
It reminds me of her dancing.
She loved to dance.
“She’s Got a Ticket” was her favorite.
Like me, she was a wanderer
…and you could tell in her eyes.
“I don’t want no one to squeeze me,
they may take away my life”
She loved…and danced….
with every ounce of energy
she could muster.
“Baby just give me one reason,
give me just one reason why
I should stay.”
She danced with wild abandon,
And those eyes – those fucking eyes
..the ones that haunt me.
They were truly windows,
and there were no walls.
I wish I had that feeling again.
I wish I was that whole again.
I don’t cry for her,
I cry for what it was –
Specific moments of time…
When it was perfect…
Absolutely perfect.
Nothing mattered when she danced,
Nothing mattered but that moment.
“Words don’t come easily,
like forgive me,
forgive me.”
Jesus, if you want to be depressed,
listen to Tracy Chapman.

Rueben, the Starbucks guy, who once went on
a road trip to Texas and stayed at a strange lady’s
lake house, is going to change the music for me.

Dave Matthews…not much better –
“Its out of my hands for now.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jil, that was beautiful, I know those moments in time of which you write....the perfect ones. And sometimes my heart feels pain and joy thinking of those times too. I still remain grateful for your pressance in my life. I still love to dance, I still think about my life, the past and present, I am a better person because you are a part of that life. Keep writing. I love you.

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

"...although Ive travelled far, I'll always save a place for you in my heasrt." - Tracy Chapman

Glad you liked it, I was nervous about giving you the web address.

Yep, sometimes its rough remembering the perfect times...me clumsily trying to keep up with you to "Loss & Strain & Butterflies" for the 15th time in a row :) I wouldnt trade any of those moments...

From the first time I saw you, though I saw you upside down and kind of cloudy because I was sleeping on the floor...I wouldnt trade any of it from then on. You became my best friend that weekend...and thats what I miss the most...my best friend.

Love you more...always have, always will.

8:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home