Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Some Favorite Books

In no particular order because that would be too difficult:

1 Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison - A memoir of a bipolar genius. I liked it because I could relate to most of what she went through (other than the genius part). As a bipolar person, I guess it helps to know youre in good company.

2 On the Road by Jack Kerouac - I guess I've always wanted to drift around the country. Theres something thats fantastic to me about catching trains and just being a nomad.

3The Problem of Pain by CS Lewis - The book by Lewis that I have totally understood.

4 Seek His Face He Will Provide by Gayle L. Darhower - By a bipolar Christian and how she deals with her ups and downs and her faith.

5 Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - Ive never been a huge science fiction fan, but I read Snow Crash and Neuromancer after they were recommended by my virtual reality professor. Its funny and ahead of the game as far as imagining virtual worlds.

6 Neuromancer by William Gibson - Where the word "cyberspace" came from. The dude was seriously ahead of his time.

7 Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger - I feel somewhat Holdenish.

8 Anything by William Blake - Im just a William Blake fan...poetry, prose...The Marriage of Heaven & Hell...his art...I like it all.

9 Jurassic Park Michael Crichton - So much better than the movie. I read it in 7th grade, a few years before the movie came out. I was really disappointed by it. Its not a kid's book like the movie ended up...its really scientific and interesting.

10 The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Im also just a Phantom fan...always have been.

11 Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan - WAAAAAAAY out there....thats what I like about it. Its a fun, interesting read...alittle Kerouac/Burroughs -ish...its wild...opium...angels in the outfield of a baseball game....doesnt get any better.

12 Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris - I keep this by my bed and re-read parts of it all the time. Its an awesome book of essays...I learn something new everytime I re-read something.

13 The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris - Ive also always wanted to live in a convent for a while. Im not Catholic but the traditions are really awesome to me.

14 Into Abba's Arms by Sandra Wilson - I FINALLY found this on amazon, but I havent ordered it yet. It really helped me with a lot of healing. Ive read it twice...would read it again.

15 The Noonday Demon: An Atlas on Depression by Andrew Solomon - REALLY interesting view on depression. I related to most of it. The chapter on addiction was kind of boring, I skipped a lot of it, but the rest was really good...its just LONG.


How's that? :)

10 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

Wow. Do you ever do any light reading? LOL.

I never got any of CS Lewis either, but I haven't tried the one you listed. Maybe I should?

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

Yep dan, you should give it a try. I think the next book Im going to read by him is Miracles.

If you stop by here leave a few favorites if you think of them. I wanna know.

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent list! You ARE Holden at times!!!! :) And you ARE a genius, too. I have always known that, you know!

5:59 PM

 
Blogger jane said...

My favorite books are all nonfiction, but here's a few:

Slave

The Glass Castle

anything by Ann Rule (Not Rice, Rule)

Running with Scissors (you'd probably enjoy this immensly, I did) and he has 2 books after it, excellent books

9:52 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

I forgot The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Michael Crichton's State of Fear

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

The Yellow Wind by David Grossman is really good, its about the Israelis and Palestinians.

Jane, Running with Scissors looks good. I put it on my wishlist.

11:58 AM

 
Blogger digibrill said...

The Jurassic Park entry dates you! I read that in undergrad. Your virtual reality professor? I wrote my thesis on VR ethics! (yes, there is such a thing.) You are a very bright young woman, Jil. C.S. Lewis can be heady, but understanding the works he did on suffering can be the most important reading.

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

Ive always meant to read Electric Kool-Aid. So its really good, huh? Thanks a lot for your list. Ive always meant to read The Stand too....so many books, so little time. I finished UnHoly Ghost and have moved on to Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer....I needed to read something funny. Anyone got more suggestions for funny reading? I need funny with substance.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

Digibrill - yes, I am a young one ;) I'd really be interested to hear more about your VR thesis. I understand the need for VR ethics. Email me: sunraven0@comcast.net

6:16 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great List! You might add "New Hope For People With Bipolar Disorder" by Nancy Rosenfeld w/ Jan Fawcett & Bernard Golden. Awesome book!

Be Blessed!

Big Scott

http://bigscottk.blogspot.com/

11:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home