Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Friends

I’ve been thinking about relationships I’ve had over the years with certain people and I’ve been mulling over writing about some of them for the past couple of days. This morning I read a post on a friend’s blog about how some people we remember for a day and others we remember for a lifetime, but they all leave some sort of mark on us whether we know it at the time or not. The post hit home because of recent events that have really made me think about people I’ve known that have definitely left an impression on my life…some of which have left with no time to say goodbye. It’s really hard when you’ve learned so much from someone, to let them go when it’s their time to move on. Maybe sometimes its easier that there is no goodbye…I don’t know.

Without naming names or going into a lot of details, I want to share some of the things that I’ve learned from the people I’ll remember for a lifetime, even if I never see them again:

Always treat people you love like its going to be the last time you see them…it may be.

You don’t have to be “smart” to teach someone something; you just have to be yourself.

If you practice patience, sooner or later you’ll become patient without having to think about it.

You’re never really stuck where you are if you’re unhappy and you don’t want to be stuck.

If you’re happy, it rubs off on people even if they’re having a horrible day.

Courage - N, mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty.

Treat EVERYONE with respect, no matter what color they are, what their sexual orientation is, or what you’re initial judgments may be.

People will let you down, but that doesn’t mean you stop loving them.

Sometimes the simplest gestures can make someone’s day.

If you’re nice to kids they will remember it when they’re adults.

You may forget details about things you’ve done, but you never forget meaningful conversations and nice things people have done for you.

Sometimes when you think you’re the teacher, you’re really the student.

Life is a lot bigger than what’s going on where you are now. You always have options.

Take care of yourself and don’t expect anyone to take care of you.

Always tell people you love what they mean to you as often as you can.

You don’t always have to talk to help someone. There are times when sitting with someone that needs you and just being silent helps.

What you’ve been through makes you who you are.

Those are just a few things I’ve learned from some of the people that have entered and exited my life. I’ll remember them forever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I wanted to leave you this...
Wisdom is not necessarily related to age.

I don't know why but just wanted to say it here.

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home