Monday, May 23, 2005

A Conglomeration of Thought Fragments

This may make no sense at all. I have a lot of stuff jumbled in my mind. Let’s blame it on the new medicine, that’s the easiest thing to do.

I read The Catcher in the Rye this weekend. It was recommended to be something I’d like by a friend. I definitely did enjoy it. I related to it a lot. If you’ve never read it, this post really won’t make sense….but I’ll try my best to explain things.

The main character in the book is a kid, Holden, who is 16. He’s having major difficulty growing up…definite Peter Pan Complex…and he feels detached from the rest of the world. I relate to this feeling, even now at 25 years old. He speaks of how “phony” everything is. I still feel like that a lot of times.

I’ve always had trouble with the concept of growing up. I’ve never understood why things can’t be simple. I had to grow up pretty early in life, and I think my complex really stems from not being able to be a kid long enough. I had a lot of trouble when I graduated from high school. I didn’t want things to change because I had finally found my niche. I had friends that I’d known all my life. The thought of having to find new ones in college scared the hell out of me. I was never able to do it either. I don’t have one friend from college. Having to be a grown up never scared me, I was a bit used to it long before most kids my age….it was just the fact that I HAD to be that sucked….its hard to explain. I guess I just wanted everything to stay the same as it was and never change, much like Holden wanted everything to be like it was in the museum…frozen in time.

I share Holden’s feelings of being detached from the rest of the world. I’ve never really felt like I belonged anywhere….even during my most comfortable years in high school…I still didn’t belong.

Now – hang with me here, I’m going off the deep end – my feelings of being detached are a bit more serious than Holden’s. I have times of feeling dissociative, where I feel detached from even my own body. I cut myself a lot when I feel like that. As the Ben Harper song goes, “Please bleed, so I know that you are real, so I know that you can feel the damage you have done. Who have I become? To myself I am numb. I am numb. I am numb.” I can’t explain it any better.

–I’m going even farther off the deep end here- Once upon a time that seems like forever ago, I was tripping on Acid. I had this acid trip where I saw things melt…like a couch and a picture on the wall….and in my drug induced hallucination, I convinced myself that there is a third dimension to the world (at least I can blame this on illegal drugs)….I convinced myself that the third dimension was the only place that was real. Everything else was a dream. I spent about a year trying to get back to that place….but all I ever got from then on was spiders coming out of the walls and weird crap like that. See, that’s where my brain cells have gone!

The acid trip thing really added to my idea that everything was “phony” as Holden put it. People never really said what they thought, everything was a conspiracy, no one really liked me, etc. etc. Sometimes I still feel like that….that the world is a play that Im not part of.

Now, I don’t have a clue why in the world I’d be diagnosed as being bipolar! ;) The Catcher in the Rye & an acid trip…only in MY blog!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish every one of you could know this very talented, creative blogger. I have known her since she was just a small kid who hung Ryne Sandburg and Mark Grace posters all over my classroom ceiling...who would put a Cubs jacket over her head so I wouldn't throw a blackboard eraser at her because she would inspire her best friend to incessantly chatter during class... who kept all her supplies, running shoes, basketball shorts, and God-knows-what in a cardboard box which was christened "The Roach Motel"...who always came by to check on things when I had recess duty and never had to sit on the sidewalk for behavioral infractions...who could write and draw and dissolve conflict between warring classroom factions...who could be counted on to take charge when it was time for the voice of reason to prevail on the playground. I constantly harassed her about the love of her 6th grade life...I won't mention any names, but I will say initials--NKOTB! I saw her play her first basketball game, drive to school when she first got her license, decorate for the prom, sneak back on campus late when it was Senior Privilege Week, and even come BACK to campus when it was Senior Skip Day. I joined the whole gym full of people who cried when she finally let me cut off the tail she had grown since the fifth grade at Senior Day. I didn't believe her first tattoo was real that she got WITHOUT anyone's consent, and I tried to rub it off with spit when she proudly displayed her dolphined ankle to me after school one day. I joined her mom and her friends and other faculty members who talked to her til we were blue in the face when she had her first wreck and stubbornly refused to drive again for weeks! I witnessed her rebellious attire she wore under her graduation robe instead of the usual sundress and sandals fashion...I think the tee shirt said something like "Hell just froze over...." When she and her cronies graduated, the school was never the same.
She is a mix of Holden Caulfield, Annie Lamott, and James Dean! She has the soul of a poet, a photographer's eye, and the voice of a teacher. If you find yourself experiencing anything like the things she has experienced, please read her words carefully and listen to the wisdom in them. She is remarkable.

6:49 PM

 
Blogger Jil said...

holy crap, what do you say to that?!?! other than THANKS Ms. Anonymous :) For being there for all of those things and trying to talk some sense into me...youve been trying since I was in 6th grade...and as hard headed as I am, youre one of the few people Ive ALWAYS respected and listened to, even tho you tried to traumatize me with the chalkboard erasers :)

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Wow, What beautiful words from someone who knows you from the inside out!

1:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home