Monday, April 25, 2005

Noonday Demon

Ive just started reading a book called Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon. So far it makes a lot of sense to me. I want to share the opening of the book....

"Depression is a flaw in love. To be creatures who love, we must be creatures who can despair in what we lose, and depression is the mechanism of that despair. When it comes, it degrades one's self and ultimately eclipses the capacity to give or receive affection. It is the aloneness within us made manifest, and it destroys not only connection to others but also the ability to be peacefully alone with oneself. Love, though it is no prophylactic against depression, is what cushions the mind and protects it from itself. Medications & phychotheraphy can renew that protection, making it easier to love and be loved, and that is why they work. In good spirits, some love themselves and some love others and some love work and some love God: any of these passions can furnish that vital sense of purpose that is the opposite of depression. Love forsakes us from time to time, and we forsake Love. In depression, the meaninglessness of every enterprise and every emotion, the meaninglessness of life itself, becomes self evident. The only feeling left in this loveless state is insignificance."

I thought that was interesting. I feel better today. Ive slept the weekend away, which is a bit depressing...but at the moment I am feeling fairly well, and had enough energy to do dishes and a few other chores that were driving me insane. I hate when I need to do something and it drives me crazy...but I just dont have the energy or motivation to do it. I hate that. But - thankfully, I have had a little spurt of energy after sleeping from about 3-8. A 5 hour nap should make anyone feel better. I guess.

Anyway, I am still thinking of the passage from the book. I want to write my feelings about it, but I want to think about it alittle more before I commit to an opinion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Jil, That is an incredible piece. Thank you so very much. Rest. I just heard a bit on the radio yesterday about the soul needing it's rest and if you need to sleep then do that and when your soul is rested you can be yourself. I thought it was sort of interesting. Thanks again for that post.

11:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home