Friday, April 22, 2005

A Few Thoughts On Heaven

It seems that in the past month, death has been a subject of conversation looming over me (and all of us with the passing of the Pope).

Today I learned that a person very close to me is being taken off of life support after suffering a seizure. He had 2 heart attacks following and has been in a coma for the past few weeks. My best memories of this man are times we spent in his garage. I’ll never forget the many conversations we had over a pack of cigarettes. He always had very wise advice. I will also always remember how accepting he was of everyone. I never heard him say a bad word about a soul. He accepted and loved me – tattoos, piercings, and all. He was family. I will miss him very much & I know his family has suffered a major hole torn in their hearts.

It seems that as though, when we are left behind, all we can do is remember the good things about the person who has gone on. However, I think we also need to remember where they are going on to if they know Jesus.

All any of us know about Heaven is what is said in the Bible. The one thing I know for sure is that we’ll be praising God for all eternity and that we can’t begin to fathom what it will be like.

My opinion of heaven doesn’t mean anything…it’s just what I like to think it will be like. I think that being in God’s presence will be more than we can ever imagine. I’ve seen some cool things in my lifetime…I’ve been on tops of mountains, I’ve been under the sea, I’ve seen the beauty of the desert…I’ve seen some amazing things….but all of those things are earthly… and all of those things, and the feelings I felt while having those experiences, wont be able to compare to the beauty of God and heaven. I think we’ll be overcome with emotion…all of the great things we experience on earth, births, graduations, weddings, excelling academically, occupationally, or in sports….won’t hold a candle to the perfection of heaven. I also like to think that we will be filled with the knowledge of God’s plan and what our purpose was on Earth. I think all our questions will be answered and we will be filled with the deepest sense of comfort. We’ll be home and we’ll finally “get it”.

On a less serious note…I hope you can fly or ride motorcycles in heaven and I hope you can go as fast as you want to without being scared. I hope you can eat all the sweets you want without getting sick. I hope you get to feel the adrenaline rush that you get from bungee jumping. I hope we know our family members…even the ones we’ve never met. I hope I can meet Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Janis Joplin, Einstein, and Van Gogh. I hope you can sing and paint and play musical instruments perfectly. I hope we understand physics and math. Just some fun stuff….

Anyway, not too long ago I was working a Bipolar workbook, and it said to make a list of all of your reasons for living so that you have them when you’re feeling like checking out is the only option. I’ll post mine some time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Thank you Jil
Death seems near my friends and yet I see strength and life and light in them. Though I do not know what heaven is like, I do believe it is like going home. What a wonderful gift this man gave to you.

12:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home